History of The Aldrich Center
Designed by Charles Bulfinch in 1804, the renowned architect of the Massachusetts State House and US Capitol building, the building is named The Phillips-Winthrop House after its former residents John Phillips, Boston's first mayor, whose son Wendell Phillips, the famous abolitionist, was born in the house in 1811, and by Thomas Lindall Winthrop, Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts from 1826 to 1832.
Connected through the century to the paths of prominent Bostonians, the house was donated in 1939 to the Judge Baker Foundation by Mrs. James Storrow. In 1978, a complete historic renovation was undertaken to restore the house to its present carefully-preserved condition. The rehabilitation was certified by the US Department of Interior that documented the building’s significance to the Beacon Hill Historic District.
In 1989, the Phillips-Winthrop House became home of The Engineering Center. Its interior is exquisitely detailed in Victorian style with an exterior emblematic of Boston's red brick architecture.
In 1998, the first floor of The Engineering Center was dedicated with great honor to Dr. Harl P. Aldrich, Jr., in recognition of his significant leadership and generous contributions in the creation of The Engineering Center.
Today, the rich historic legacy continues. The Aldrich Center is owned by The Engineering Center Education Trust, founded by three engineering and surveying associations: BSCES, the Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section/ASCE, the oldest technical society in the United States, established in 1848; ACEC/MA, the American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts; and MALSCE, the Massachusetts Association of Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers. Through The Aldrich Center, The Engineering Center Education Trust serves the engineering community and other industries, catering to diverse professional meeting needs.